I take temazapam 30mg. For anxiety/panic disorder. My doc also gave me seroquel (quetiapine) 100mg. For insomnia. I don't like it, can I take trazadone instead?

In brief: A/ w Dr. Pappas &

Lin. I try to avoid using seroquel (quetiapine) as monotherapy for insomnia alone.
However - many physicians/ psychiatrists do use if for this purpose. Please don't make any changes to your medications without consulting with your prescribing provider first.

In brief: A/ w Dr. Pappas &

Dr. Jane Steiner

In brief: For sleep!

Temazepam is meant for sleep.
It is not meant to be prescribed during the day for anything else, unless you've already tried the other meds for panic disorder, including antidepressants and other benzo's that are for daytime use and unless you are allergic or have had addictions to the other benzos. Trazodone is not necessarily the best drug for a man because of possible side effects.

In brief: For sleep!

Temazepam is meant for sleep.
Dr. Jane Steiner
Dr. Jane Steiner
2 comments
Dr. Donald Jacobson
Trazodone is safer than Seroquel. The risk of priapism is 1:6,000. It is treatable if caught early.
Dr. Jane Steiner
I totally agree with trazodone being safer than Seoquel for sleep. I'm confused by the temazepam and ran out of room for a full answer !
Dr. Alvin Lin
Internal Medicine - Geriatrics

In brief: Get 2nd opinion

I'm going to go out on a limb & make myself a target but i can't rationalize using seroquel (quetiapine) as a drug solely for insomnia, at least not if you aren't being treated for schizophrenia or bipolar disorder.
There are "safer" drugs approved for insomnia w/o risking extrapyramidal symptoms, tardive dyskinesia, weight gain, high cholesterol & high sugars. Trazodone has none of these side eff.

In brief: Get 2nd opinion

Dr. Alvin Lin
Dr. Alvin Lin
2 comments
Dr. Pamela Pappas
Not sure who you would be a "target" for on this, Dr. Lin! I'll stand with you in your comments about Seroquel for insomnia alone. However, I've also seen some for whom the insomnia is a prodrome of hypomania/mania . . . in which case it's useful since Seroquel is also a mood stabilizer. One of my patients who came to me for homeopathy refers to Seroquel as his "nuclear option" for sleep when nothing else will work. His remedy helps him, and yet he's been so sick that I still feel he needs mood stabilizer.
Dr. Alvin Lin
Thank you for your expertise! Much appreciated!
Dr. Eric Weisman