What happens once you have intestinal bleeding?

Fix it! The first step is to stabilize the patient, and then figure out the source of the bleeding. This is usually accomplished by endoscopy & colonoscopy. Sometimes tumors cause bleeding, and in that case, a biopsy will clarify what kind of tumor/cancer is responsible. With that information, a customized treatment plan is developed which may involve surgical removal of that bowel area.
Depends on cause. The blood breaks down partly in the intestine and by itself is not harmful. However, why there is bleeding is more important to ascertain and treat. Intestinal bleeding can cause anemia in addition to the pathology of the cause. Consult your doctor for evaluation.