What does I need to tell my child when older about having had milk intolerance?

Dr. Jeannette Gonzalez-simon
Pediatrics - Gastroenterology

In brief: Nothing

You do not have to worry about this being a long lasting issue.
If she is able to be transitioned to whole cows milk when she is 1 then there is no longer a problem. She should be aware of it but does not indicate that she will have a residual lactose intolerance.

In brief: Nothing

Dr. Jeannette Gonzalez-simon
Dr. Jeannette Gonzalez-simon
Dr. Charles Cattano
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology

In brief: Lactose intolerance

Lactose intolerance is genetically based (please see my earlier answer), & is "forever." of course, some people with the condition have higher threshold for tolerating at least a certain amount of lactose.
Also, replacement of lactase (the enzyme that breaks lactose down) can permit better tolerance of ingested lactose. Tell your child to minimize lactose-containing foods unless lactase is taken.

In brief: Lactose intolerance

Dr. Charles Cattano
Dr. Charles Cattano
Dr. Shontae Buffington