What do I need to tell my fiance about my future health? I have lung cancer.

Dr. Mario Matos-Cruz
Surgery - Thoracic

In brief: Stage & Type

Long term prognosis depends on stage at time of diagnosis.
2 major groups small cell and non small cell. Five year survival poor for stage iii and iv. 5 year survival for non small cell lung cancer for stage ii about 30%, for stage i about 70% with resection.

In brief: Stage & Type

Dr. Mario Matos-Cruz
Dr. Mario Matos-Cruz
Dr. Karen Sibert
The four stages referred to above have to do with the size of the tumor, whether it has spread to lymph nodes, and whether it has spread beyond the lung. Treatment for Stage I (the earliest stage) is usually surgery first, and often is a cure. Treatment for other stages may include radiation and/or chemotherapy. Share all information with your fiance. This is a tough problem.

In brief: Depends on type

Depends on your age, tumor stage, and tumor type.
Cancer is used to describe a malignant tumor, but there are three major types: small cell carcinoma (responds to chemotherapy, but usually not a good prognosis), squamous cell carcinoma (treated with surgery, chemotherapy and radiation), and adenocarcinoma (treated with surgery and radiation). All depends on the stage though. Share with your fiance.

In brief: Depends on type

Dr. Lester Thompson
Dr. Lester Thompson
Tell the truth. You have found love. That is what matters. Whether you have a short or long time together, cherish every minute of it.
Dr. Liawaty Ho
Internal Medicine - Hematology & Oncology

In brief: There are options

There are different types of lung cancer.
Treatment will depend on the type and the stage of the disease. Nowadays, treatment of lung cancer (non small cell) is more personalized and tailored to the type and biology of the cancer. It must've been very devastating for you to hear about the diagnosis. Share with your fiancee, discuss with your oncologist and perhaps counselling for both of you.

In brief: There are options

Dr. Liawaty Ho
Dr. Liawaty Ho
Pathology

In brief: The truth

Lung cancer is a serious illness with a high mortality.
What stage and what type of lung cancer do you have. You should divulge all the information you have so that your fiance can evaluate the situation.

In brief: The truth