What do I need to tell my fiance about my future health? I have fainting after coughing.

Dr. Mark Rasak
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: Depends

The condition you have is called cough syncope.
As long as you supress the cough your fine. If you do pass out it's related to the vagus nerve and usually resolves quickly without permanent nuerologic sequella. However if your driving or up on a ladder and you do have an attack , the consequences could be disastrous. Pts like this need aggressive cough suppression with colds or infections.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Mark Rasak
Dr. Mark Rasak
Dr. Vasudev Ananthram
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: Complete check up

Probably this will not affect your long term health and life span.
You should have a heart monitor to see if you have a long pause in heart beat making you faint. Take measures to sit or lie down when you have a coughing spell. Pacemaker can sometimes help if it becomes a nuisance and a long pause in heart beat is documented. Have a complete check up by a cardiologist.

In brief: Complete check up

Dr. Vasudev Ananthram
Dr. Vasudev Ananthram
Dr. Tonga Nfor
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology