What choices do I have for treating parotitis?

Dr. James Bates
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial
In brief: Parotitis
A bacterial infection of the parotid gland usually indicates a problem with drainage of the gland, i.
e., an obstruction of the parotid duct inside the mouth. There could be a stone in the duct or gland, just like a gallstone or kidney stone. If antibiotics don't completely resolve it, you should an ENT or oral surgeon for an imaging study such as a sialogram or a ct to look for an obstruction.

In brief: Parotitis
Dr. James Bates
Dr. James Bates
Pathology
In brief: Depends on the cause
Mumps parotitis is self limited and requires no treatment.
Bacterial parotid infection usually suggests other abnormalities and my require antibiotic treatment as well correction of associated defect, e.g., duct obstruction.

In brief: Depends on the cause
Dr. Keegan Duchicela