How do I know if I am at risk for getting osteoporosis?

In brief: Risk factors?

Menopause is a major risk factor since the loss of estrogen leads to increased bone loss.
Other important risks include increasing age, family history, personal history of a fracture, cigarette smoking, use of steroids, low body weight, or alcohol. The frax risk analysis will help you calculate your risk of a fracture within the next 10 years.

In brief: Risk factors?

Dr. Katherine Sutherland
Dr. Katherine Sutherland
Dr. Frederick Singer
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology

In brief: Heredity

The risk of osteoporosis is increased if a parent had osteoporosis, if there is estrogen or testosterone deficiency, if cortisone is taken long term, if there is vitamin d deficiency, if there is autoimmune disease such as rheumatoid arthritis, if there is absolute bed rest, if there is alcoholism and many other factors.

In brief: Heredity

Dr. Frederick Singer
Dr. Frederick Singer