I just realized I have psychological trauma from a extremely frightening experience with a recreational drug. What kind of treatment do I need?

Dr. Pamela Pappas

In brief: Evaluation 1st

An evaluation of your problem is needed before determining the best treatment -- they're not "one size fits all.
" best to see a psychiatrist first. Some drugs can trigger psychosis, and it doesn't go away when the drug leaves your system. Medications and/or talk therapy may help; the doctor will be able to suggest once s/he hears about your experience and how things are now for you.

In brief: Evaluation 1st

Dr. Pamela Pappas
Dr. Pamela Pappas

In brief: Street drug trauma

If you are having the experiencw now, go to your nearest emergency room or call 911 if you are intoxicated.
If the trauma had past, it will be important to find a therapist or psychiatrist experienced in the area of substance abuse to evaluate you and assess the best route of treatment. Call your insurance company for substance abuse referrals or your local emergency departments.

In brief: Street drug trauma

Dr. Caroline Cribari
Dr. Caroline Cribari
Dr. Vicken Poochikian