Why do I need to quit smoking before having spine surgery?

Dr. Stan Lee
Orthopedic Surgery - Spine

In brief: Better recovery

Smoking slows wound healing and bone healing in fusion patients.
Because the majority of spine surgery is elective, it is advisable to do everything reasonably possible in order to maximize the chance of a successful outcome prior to proceeding.

In brief: Better recovery

Dr. Stan Lee
Dr. Stan Lee
Dr. Michael Bolesta
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: It is harmful

Smoking and other tobacco use (dipping and chewing) has been associated with a higher risk of bones not healing bone to bone (critical for fusion procedures).
Tobacco use is associated with a greater risk of disk degeneration and greater risk of chronic pain. I urge all tobacco users to stop if they can.

In brief: It is harmful

Dr. Michael Bolesta
Dr. Michael Bolesta
Dr. Robert Replogle
Neurosurgery

In brief: Inhibits fusion

Dramatic increase in fusion failure rates in active smokers.

In brief: Inhibits fusion

Dr. Robert Replogle
Dr. Robert Replogle
Dr. Roger Frankel
Neurosurgery

Quitting smoking is good for many reasons.
In the case of spine surgery, there is better recovery in non smokers. This is even more dramatic if a spinal fusion is necessary.

Dr. Roger Frankel
Dr. Roger Frankel
Dr. Crystal Twynham
Board Certified, Surgery