Was planning to see classmates at upcoming 20th reunion. Now I am hearing my best friend has ovarian insufficiency. What is that?

Dr. Carolyn Quist
Gynecology
In brief: Premature menopause
Ovarian insufficiency is another way of saying someone is going through menopause.
There can be various causes of why someone might go through this prematurely. This can be treated with supplemental hormones and should not keep your friend from attending the reunion.

In brief: Premature menopause
Dr. Carolyn Quist
Dr. Carolyn Quist
Dr. Nancy Durso
Fertility Medicine
In brief: Non-functioning ovar
Ovarian insufficiency is a new term for what we used to call premature ovarian failure or premature menopause.
The ovaries stop responding to FSH stimulation before the age of 40. This means no ovulation, low estrogen and menopausal symptoms. The ovaries will sometimes turn back on again but nothing can be done to force an ovulation.

In brief: Non-functioning ovar
Dr. Nancy Durso
Dr. Nancy Durso
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham