Trying to learn all I can about retinoblastoma. My grandchild has it. Please help.?

Dr. Liawaty Ho
Internal Medicine - Hematology & Oncology

In brief: Retinoblastoma

I am sorry to hear about your grandchild.
You can find a lot of information about retinoblastoma at http://retinoblastoma.Com/retinoblastoma/frameset1.Htm it is not a common disease to have. However it is the most common eye cancer-approximately 1 in 15, 000 live births in the United States. If small and early is treated with laser or radioactive . Surgery and chemo for later case/bigger tumor.

In brief: Retinoblastoma

Dr. Liawaty Ho
Dr. Liawaty Ho
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Ophthalmology

In brief: Inherited tumor

This is a usually inherited tumor at birth or in early infancy.
You sound like an adult, and unless you had this as an infant, you cannot acquire this later in life.When detected early it can be treated with laser, and radiation. In more advanced cases it may require chemo or eye removal. This is a serious problem with implications for the inheritance of the tumor in adult life.

In brief: Inherited tumor

Dr. Richard Bensinger
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Dr. Jonathan Jassey