Sure, i've heard of ear drum rupture. But now that I have it, I want to know what is really happening in my body.?

Dr. Kristen Stuppy

In brief: Pressure release

When an ear infection's pus causes pressure to build up behind the ear drum, it can pop a hole in the ear drum to drain the pus.
Sounds awful, but it isn't usually. It relieves the pain that the pressure causes and drains the pus, helping to clear the infection. Holes typically close very quickly (sometimes too fast and trap some remaining pus!) avoid water in your ear while it heals. See a doc.

In brief: Pressure release

Dr. Kristen Stuppy
Dr. Kristen Stuppy
Dr. Kristen Stuppy
See your doc to be sure the hole closes. Occasionally these need to be patched, but not usually. Sometimes antibiotics help clear the infection, other times you don't need them. If you are worried about the hole itself, think of someone with tubes in the ear. A surgeon put a hole in the eardrum and inserted a tube to keep it open to help prevent pus from building up. Your ruptured drum is similar!
Dr. Mandakini Patel

In brief: Ear drum rupture

Ear drum rupture could be traumatic or due to infection of the mioddle ear with increased middle ear pressure.
Most heal on their own in a afew weeks. You should take care not to habve water go into your ears. The proximnity of the mioddle ear and inner ear to the brain can cause serious brain infections. Most ruptured drums are not to worry about though.

In brief: Ear drum rupture

Dr. Mandakini Patel
Dr. Mandakini Patel
Dr. Cindy Juster