How can I tell if my l side sciatic px is from piriformis syndrome or herniated disk? The pain intensity varies & at time only in my l low back/buttock. When I have leg pain to my left foot goes cold.

Dr. Soren Singel
Neurosurgery

In brief: Clinical exam

A good medical doctor will examine you and find out what is going on.
Usually, straight leg raise testing will make it clear if this is from the nerve roots or from the nerve being pinched by the muscles (eg piriformis).

In brief: Clinical exam

Dr. Soren Singel
Dr. Soren Singel
Dr. Pietro Seni
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: EMG

There are two options.
First one is to do and emg(electromyogram)this test should tell you if the sciatica is due to a radiculopathy or due to others causes such as the piriform syndrome.Second one is more delicate and involves doing a piriform block(requires using an ultrasound guided inyection.Person doing it have to be expirienced using the ultrasound in that area.

In brief: EMG

There are two options.
Dr. Pietro Seni
Dr. Pietro Seni
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine