If I have surgery to take out a disc in my back, what will replace the disc that the doctor removes?

Dr. R. Scott Anderson
Radiation Oncology
In brief: Fibrotic scar
They don't remove the disc itself just the gelatinous nucleus pulposis, this is what protrudes and causes nerve root or spinal compression.

In brief: Fibrotic scar
Dr. R. Scott Anderson
Dr. R. Scott Anderson
Dr. David Rosenfeld
Pain Management
In brief: Nothing
A discectomy (also called open discectomy) is the surgical removal of herniated disc material that presses on a nerve root or the spinal cord.
The procedure involves removing the central portion of an intervertebral disc, the nucleus pulposus, which causes pain by stressing the spinal cord or radiating nerves. Often nothing is put in to "replace" the disc.

In brief: Nothing
Dr. David Rosenfeld
Dr. David Rosenfeld
Dr. Jonathan Jassey