So sad. Just learned my child has depression. I have always tried to shelter and protect my kids. What now?

Dr. Miroslava Fox
Clinical Psychology
In brief: Self-care 4u/testing
Manage your own stress by taking care of your own needs.
Probably, have a psychological testing done on your kid to confirm/disprove diagnosis. Testing will also show child's strength and things to work on, but knowing strengths will help you in coping with his illness and take your care for him in more positive direction. Testing can be done by a clinical psychologist specializing in children.

In brief: Self-care 4u/testing
Dr. Miroslava Fox
Dr. Miroslava Fox
Dr. Donald Jacobson
zWe cannot protect our children from everything, especially genetic illnesses like depression that can occur in the absent of adversity in life. I agree with the above. Just make sure your child gets competent care. A child psychiatrist must also be involved.
In brief: Why
Why are you sheltering your children.
Life is to be experienced. Certainly we need to guide and educate them. But being over protective and sheltering is detrimental your child's well being, over protection. Maybe leading to some of the depression. As far as the depression goes, therapy is the first step. As well as, socialization, physical activity, proper rest, and proper diet.

In brief: Why
Why are you sheltering your children.
Dr. Anthony LaBarbera
Dr. Anthony LaBarbera
Dr. Rudolf Brutoco
Pediatrics - Psychiatry
In brief: Be a "can do" parent
If your child is depressed, you can't possibly have just learned that.
What you learned is someone put a label on your child's behavioral/social/emotional difficulties.The label may or may not be valid.Deal with your child's needs-& the needs include a parent who is not overly fearful; one who has optimism herself; & one who believes in & trusts her child.Get help, but you are primary antidepressant.

In brief: Be a "can do" parent
Dr. Rudolf Brutoco
Dr. Rudolf Brutoco
Dr. Cindy Juster