Can you get BV in your mouth?

Dr. William Brown
Gynecology

In brief: NO BV in the mouth

Bacterial vaginosis is a condition where the vagina is colonized with a collection of bacteria that can cause symptoms (increased discharge, odor are primary).
The mouth also has bacteria and if symptoms similar to BV appear in the mouth, poor hygiene is likely. Brush the teeth and use mouthwash.

In brief: NO BV in the mouth

Dr. William Brown
Dr. William Brown
Dr. Jane Van Dis

In brief: No

Bv is bacterial vaginosis, an overgrowth of one of combination of gardnerella vaginalis, mobiluncus, bacteroides, and mycoplasma.
These are normal bacteria for your vagina, but when a woman has bv, these bacteria grow in abnormal amounts. I don't think having oral sex with someone who has BV would be all that appealing. But to answer your question, no you cannot get BV of the mouth.

In brief: No

Dr. Jane Van Dis
Dr. Jane Van Dis
Dr. Jane Van Dis