My sister has developed long qt syndrome. What is it exactly?

Dr. Christopher Prior

In brief: See below

Long qt syndrome (lqts) is a heart rhythm disorder that can potentially cause rapid heartbeats which may trigger a sudden fainting spell or seizure and in some cases, death.
You can be born with a genetic mutation that puts you at risk of long qt syndrome. In addition, certain medications and medical conditions may cause this, however it is treatable.

In brief: See below

Dr. Christopher Prior
Dr. Christopher Prior
Dr. Umesh Patel
Preventive Medicine

In brief: Long QT Syndrome.

EKG records electrical events in the heart, measured as 'intervals'.
The QT interval records the time it takes for the electrical tissues to 'recharge' in preparation for the next heartbeat. In long QT syndrome, prolongation of this interval occurs, to where it may allow abnormal electrical activity to occur, causing an irregular heart rhythm, which may need medication or even a shock to correct.

In brief: Long QT Syndrome.

Dr. Umesh Patel
Dr. Umesh Patel
Dr. Volkan Tuzcu
Pediatrics - Cardiology

In brief: Long qt

It is a genetic disease.
She should have genetic testing and anybody related to her (siblings, parents, her children, yourself) should all be checked. I am an expert in the field, if you want you can consult me or one of us. www.healthtap.com/volkantuzcu

In brief: Long qt

It is a genetic disease.
Dr. Volkan Tuzcu
Dr. Volkan Tuzcu
Dr. Tonga Nfor
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology