My pediatrician says my child may have knee cap tendon rupture, but I don't understand. What does it mean?

Dr. Barry Waldman
Orthopedic Surgery - Reconstruction

In brief: Tendon rupture

The patella, or knee cap, has two major tendons that attach it to the bones and muscles around it - the patellar tendon and quadricepts tendon.
If they are injured, they can usually be treated with therapy and bracing. Complete tears sometimes required surgery.

In brief: Tendon rupture

Dr. Barry Waldman
Dr. Barry Waldman
Dr. Darren Corteen
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Torn tendon

Tendon ruptures about the pediatric knee cap can occur. Kids sometimes pull off a piece of bone at the tendon attachment site.
Cases in which this is minimally displaced do not require surgery, cases with more significant displacement can. Could also be referring to case of patellar dislocation which is typically initially managed nonoperatively. Sounds as though speciality referral is needed.

In brief: Torn tendon

Dr. Darren Corteen
Dr. Darren Corteen
Dr. Shontae Buffington