My doctor has suggested that I have a spine fusion in my lower spine. How will this affect my ability to bend over?

Dr. Thomas Dowling
Orthopedic Surgery - Spine
In brief: This is dependent on
How in shape and how flexible you are in the first place as well as not having any hip or leg issues at the same time.
The type and extent of your surgery plays a role as well as the diagnosis for which you are having the surgery for in the first place. For most, there is usually not a noticeable change once recovered from the surgery.

In brief: This is dependent on
Dr. Thomas Dowling
Dr. Thomas Dowling
Dr. Stan Lee
Orthopedic Surgery - Spine
In brief: Depends
A patient's residual lumbar motion after fusion depends on the number of levels fused.
Most of a patient's functional bending happens through the hip joints. The lumbar spine is responsible for the majority of twisting and this will be limited proportionally to the number of levels fused.

In brief: Depends
Dr. Stan Lee
Dr. Stan Lee