My mother was diagnosed with mumps. Can you tell me about it?

Dr. Gregory Mosolf
In brief: Swollen face
Mumps is a virus which tends to infect a gland on the face called the parotid gland.
Mumps is pretty rare in developed countries due to the MMR vaccine. The gland (below and in front of the ear) becomes tender and swollen. Other symptoms include fever, headache and achiness. Symptoms last 7 to 10 days. Mumps can cause complications including meningitis (brain infection) and testicle infection.

In brief: Swollen face
Dr. Gregory Mosolf
Dr. Gregory Mosolf
Dr. Thomas Riney
there are other causes of parotitis besides that caused by the mumps virus. she may have one of the less worrisome viral causes. she may benefit from some antiinflammatory medicines and chewing gum to stimulate the drainage of the parotid gland
Dr. Nela Cordero
In brief: Mumps
Mumps is prevented by immunization with mmr.
Painful swelling of the parotid gland usually bilateral lasting 1 week. Complications are orchitis or encephalitis.Systemic symptoms are supportive.Hope she does not have problems.

In brief: Mumps
Dr. Nela Cordero
Dr. Nela Cordero