My lady friend has hirschsprung’s disease. She was too embarassed to tell me any more. Can you explain it to me please?

Variable defect. Emptying the large intestines relies on nerves that pass a wave of sequential tightening thru circular muscles in the tubular wall and push stool forward. Hd is the name applied when these nerve cells are absent, any point from the outlet backward. Rx after recognition relies on removal of the defective section & pulling the normal down to the outlet.The type of surgery & eventual function varies.
Congenital Megacolon. Symptoms of costipation, abdominal distention or abstruction with vomiting and empty bowel on rectal exam suspect abnormality of nerve supply to the colon. It is a surgical case.
Lack ganglion cells. Hirschsprung’s disease (congenital megacolon) is caused by failed migration of colonic ganglion cells in utero. Varying lengths of the distal colon are unable to relax, causing functional colonic obstruction.Can vary from very short segment to entire large bowel. Obstruction noted usually in infancy, Sometimes recognition is later due to intractable constipation.