My lady friend has hirschsprung’s disease. She was too embarassed to tell me any more. Can you explain it to me please?

In brief: Variable defect
Emptying the large intestines relies on nerves that pass a wave of sequential tightening thru circular muscles in the tubular wall and push stool forward.
Hd is the name applied when these nerve cells are absent, any point from the outlet backward. Rx after recognition relies on removal of the defective section & pulling the normal down to the outlet.The type of surgery & eventual function varies.

In brief: Variable defect
When the nerves are absent, the wave of tightening stops and the bowel narrows.If picked up at birth, management can procede. A few can be missed & are plagued by alternating periods of constipation & explosive enteritis. Rapid deterioration and death are a rare complication.
Dr. Nela Cordero
In brief: Congenital Megacolon
Symptoms of costipation, abdominal distention or abstruction with vomiting and empty bowel on rectal exam suspect abnormality of nerve supply to the colon.
It is a surgical case.

In brief: Congenital Megacolon
It is a surgical case.
Dr. Nela Cordero
Dr. Nela Cordero
Dr. Gerald Mandell
Nuclear Medicine
In brief: Lack ganglion cells
Hirschsprung’s disease (congenital megacolon) is caused by failed migration of colonic ganglion cells in utero.
Varying lengths of the distal colon are unable to relax, causing functional colonic obstruction.Can vary from very short segment to entire large bowel. Obstruction noted usually in infancy, Sometimes recognition is later due to intractable constipation.

In brief: Lack ganglion cells
Dr. Gerald Mandell
Dr. Gerald Mandell