My friend has osteopenia. How do I avoid getting it?

Dr. Rebecca Gray
In brief: Calcium
Daily calcium supplements and weight-bearing exercise help build bone strength and protects against osteoporosis.

In brief: Calcium
Dr. Rebecca Gray
Dr. Rebecca Gray
2 comments
Dr. Kevin Daus
Also, remember to get about 2000IU of D3 every day along with your calcium. Kroger has 400 pills very cheap and it is 2 for one! Also exercise. Hope this helps!
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham
At menopause, consider estrogen replacement to prevent the accelerated calcium loss from you bones that occurs after menopause.
Dr. Luis Gonzalez
In brief: Bone loss
This is often genetic. Low bone mass is a risk for the development of osteoporosis which is bone at risk of fractures. If you smoke, quit. Weight bearing exercise increases muscle mass and strengthen your bones. Decrease carbonated drinks. Take vitamin d and calcium supplement. Moderate exposure to sunlight (with sunscreen) also activates your body's vitamin d.

In brief: Bone loss
Dr. Luis Gonzalez
Dr. Luis Gonzalez
Dr. Adam Levy