My father was diagnosed with ruptured spleen. Should I be worried for him?

Dr. Allen Seely
General Practice
In brief: YES & NO
Traumatic ruptured spleen is now managed expectantly in the hospital meaning 'watch and wait'.
So if the patient is stable with no signs of hemorhage then it is safe to not do surgery and then send the patient home after observation. If there are signs of major hemorrhage soon after injury then immediate surgery is indicated. Complications of emergency surgery are related to overall health.

In brief: YES & NO
Dr. Allen Seely
Dr. Allen Seely
Dr. Carlo Contreras
Surgery - Oncology
In brief: Maybe
Trauma is the most common cause for a ruptured spleen.
If his vital signs are stable, and he does not have other serious injuries, the outcome is usually good. Splenic bleeding usually stops in the stable patient. Worst case scenario is that he needs to have his spleen surgically removed which is usually pretty straight forward.

In brief: Maybe
Dr. Carlo Contreras
Dr. Carlo Contreras
Dr. Crystal Twynham
Board Certified, Surgery