Can I just use a brace to take my low back pain away?

Dr. Jeffrey Glaser
Pain Management

In brief: Yes and No

Back pain has many potential causes.
Some of these causes are benign and others can be more serious. A properly fitted back brace could help with posture and support and symptomatically some patients find back braces really help to relieve pressure on their back. However, it is important to be worked up by your doctor for back pain if it persists.

In brief: Yes and No

Back pain has many potential causes.
Dr. Jeffrey Glaser
Dr. Jeffrey Glaser
Dr. Latisha Smith
Wound care

In brief: No

If low back pain is caused by a herniated disc, a brace will have no effect in pain relief.
If there is muscle sprain or spasm from a sports injury for example, a back brace for a short period of time to allow the inflamed tissue to heal may result in some pain minimal degree of pain relief. In general, rest, ice , and limited lifting will be more effective than a brace.

In brief: No

Dr. Latisha Smith
Dr. Latisha Smith
Dr. Neetu Ahluwalia
Pain Management

In brief: No

A brace should only be used sparingly.
Even though it may feel good to wear it, the brace will cause your back muscles to become weaker over time and you'll be less able to support your spine.

In brief: No

A brace should only be used sparingly.
Dr. Neetu Ahluwalia
Dr. Neetu Ahluwalia
Dr. Sathish Modugu
Pain Management

In brief: It is possible

This is a controversial topic.
Medical studies have shown mixed results. They can be beneficial in certain types of back pain such as compression fractures and instability. Some patients do report relief with other causes. My advice is to try it out. If it helps, use it. Use a comfortable brace. Continue to exercise your back and abdominal muscles. This is all after proper diagnosis.

In brief: It is possible

This is a controversial topic.
Dr. Sathish Modugu
Dr. Sathish Modugu