My doctor thinks I might have retinoblastoma. Wants more info to confirm, but I am worried. What exactly is it?

Dr. Laura Webb

In brief: Eye cancer

Retinoblastoma is a cancer that affects the light detecting part of the eye.
It may occur in just one or both of the eyes. It can affect both adults and children. It sometimes can be inherited due to specific gene mutations. Depending on the exact nature of the cancer chemotherapy, radiation, surgery or combination may be used treat the cancer.

In brief: Eye cancer

Dr. Laura Webb
Dr. Laura Webb
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Ophthalmology

In brief: Retinal tumor

This is a usually inherited tumor at birth or in early infancy.
You sound like an adult, and unless you had this as an infant, you cannot acquire this later in life. Is your doctor talking about your child? You can have other retinal tumors however. You need more information from your doctor who i hope is an ophthalmologist.

In brief: Retinal tumor

Dr. Richard Bensinger
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Dr. Jonathan Jassey