My doctor thinks I might have osteoporosis. Wants more info to confirm, but I am worried. What exactly is it?

Dexa scan. Osteoporosis is very common in both women and men as we get older. Women tend to start losing bone earlier then men particularly at menopause. A DEXA scan is the test for bone loss. It is a simple xray test that is not painful and takes minutes. Some labs may be ordered such as a clacium and vitamin d levels. The most important risk to osteoporosis is bone fractures but many drugs are available.
Osteoporosis. Osteoporosis is a thinning of the bones. This condition can increase your risk of fractures. Your worries will be put to rest if you do the confirmatory testing. There are numerous forms of effective treatment available. It is better to catch a condition early than try to reverse a severe form of the disease. A bone densitometry is a form of imaging study that can help in the diagnosis.