My doctor thinks I might have emphysema. Wants more info to confirm, but I am worried. What exactly is it?

Dr. Hesham Hassaballa
Internal Medicine - Pulmonary Critical Care
In brief: Destruction of lung
Emphysema is destruction of lung tissue, most often due to smoking.
It is manifested by an inability to breathe, wheezing, and sometimes cough. It is not a death sentence, as many people perceive. There are many effective treatments, although it is not curable. And as many of my colleagues have written, the best thing you can do is stop smoking.

In brief: Destruction of lung
Dr. Hesham Hassaballa
Dr. Hesham Hassaballa
Dr. Sue Ferranti
In brief: COPD....
Emphysema is a form of copd.
It is manifested by shortness of breath, cough, wheezing, airway inflammation. It is usually caused by smoking and is characterized by progressive obstruction in the airways. Meds are used to control symptoms, including oxygen if your blood level is low. It is not curable. The best thing you can do is quit smoking if you currently smoke. Your doctor can help with this.

In brief: COPD....
Emphysema is a form of copd.
Dr. Sue Ferranti
Dr. Sue Ferranti
Dr. Dennis Clifford
In brief: COPD
Pulmonary function tests are required to diagnose and assess severity of emphysema.
It is a disease usually caused by cigarette smoking where there is loss of the air units where oxygen is absorbed and carbon dioxide is eliminated. This leads to breathlessness, especially with exertion. Along with chronic bronchitis it is one of the diseases called copd.

In brief: COPD
Dr. Dennis Clifford
Dr. Dennis Clifford
Dr. Shabbir Hossain
In brief: Lung structure
Emphysema is the destruction of your lungs architecture.
Becomes stiff and full of holes, bubbles. Smoking is the most common cause, but there are some genetic diseases that lead to it too.

In brief: Lung structure
Dr. Shabbir Hossain
Dr. Shabbir Hossain
Dr. Tonga Nfor
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology