My doctor thinks I might have emphysema. Wants more info to confirm, but I am worried. What exactly is it?

Destruction of lung. Emphysema is destruction of lung tissue, most often due to smoking. It is manifested by an inability to breathe, wheezing, and sometimes cough. It is not a death sentence, as many people perceive. There are many effective treatments, although it is not curable. And as many of my colleagues have written, the best thing you can do is stop smoking.
COPD.... Emphysema is a form of copd. It is manifested by shortness of breath, cough, wheezing, airway inflammation. It is usually caused by smoking and is characterized by progressive obstruction in the airways. Meds are used to control symptoms, including oxygen if your blood level is low. It is not curable. The best thing you can do is quit smoking if you currently smoke. Your doctor can help with this.
COPD. Pulmonary function tests are required to diagnose and assess severity of emphysema. It is a disease usually caused by cigarette smoking where there is loss of the air units where oxygen is absorbed and carbon dioxide is eliminated. This leads to breathlessness, especially with exertion. Along with chronic bronchitis it is one of the diseases called copd.
Lung structure. Emphysema is the destruction of your lungs architecture. Becomes stiff and full of holes, bubbles. Smoking is the most common cause, but there are some genetic diseases that lead to it too.