My doc says i've got esophageal rupture. What does this mean?

Dr. ALADIN MARIANO
Surgery - Thoracic
In brief: Break in esophagus
If you were hospitalized and operated on, most likely this is what happened.
If not, "esopageal rupture" may not be the right term. I wonder whether one meant esophageal hernia, which is not exactly a rupture but a weakness in the diaphragm sphincter. Sometimes in communication, encoding and decoding the message can be the source of misunderstanding.

In brief: Break in esophagus
Dr. ALADIN MARIANO
Dr. ALADIN MARIANO
Dr. Robert Herman
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology
In brief: Not exactly sure
Esophageal rupture is unusual and indeed if you had it, meaning a perforated esophagus, you would likely not be reading this but rather would be in the hospital on the way to surgery.
Likely, your doctor told you that you may have a herniation in the diaphragm resulting in a hiatus hernia that may predispose you to reflux.

In brief: Not exactly sure
Dr. Robert Herman
Dr. Robert Herman
Dr. Mark Pack
Board Certified, Surgery