My brother was diagnosed with mallet finger. Any tips or suggestions for him?

Dr. Raymond Raven
Surgery - Hand Surgery
In brief: Continuous splinting
Soft-tissue mallet fingers (tendon only, no bone fracture) are my least favorite injury because results are almost always less than perfect.
I used to splint continuously for 6 weeks and then at night only for 2. Now i splint continuously for 2 months followed by night only for 1 month. Best results the longer you splint full time. There will always be a lag (mallet deformity) to some degree.

In brief: Continuous splinting
Dr. Raymond Raven
Dr. Raymond Raven
3 comments
Dr. F. Thomas Kaplan
NEVER let the last joint bend for the full 6-8 weeks! When cleaning the finger & splint, the finger MUST stay straight AT ALL TIMES for optimum results
Dr. Jeffrey Sider
Ive had the same injury since college. It was initially treated for six weeks and did fairly well. It was recently hit at the dip joint by a tennis ball and the deformity got somewhat worse. Unfortunately splinting the finger for 6-8 weeks would prevnent me from dong surgery.
Dr. F. Thomas Kaplan
Surgery - Hand Surgery
In brief: KEEP IT STRAIGHT
Never let the last joint bend for the full 6-8 weeks! when cleaning the finger & splint, the finger must stay straight at all times for optimum results.

In brief: KEEP IT STRAIGHT
Dr. F. Thomas Kaplan
Dr. F. Thomas Kaplan
Dr. Arnon Rubin