My brother has hashimoto's thyroiditis. Should I be worried about this?

Dr. Melissa Young
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology

In brief: Not worried,watchful

You do not have to worry exactly, but someone with a family history of an autoimmune disorder, such as hashimoto's, is at higher risk of developing an autoimmune disroder than someone without a family history.
You should be checked periodically (once or twice a year).

In brief: Not worried,watchful

Dr. Melissa Young
Dr. Melissa Young
Pathology

In brief: Easy lab test

A lab test for antibodies to thyroid antigens can provide an indication if you are at risk of developing the disease.
Many diseases run in families and endocrine disease are among that group of disorders. The illness is treatable and you should not worry, even if, god forbid, you have it.

In brief: Easy lab test

Dr. Keegan Duchicela