What exactly does bone cancer do to your body?

It does what cancers. Just like other cancers, it can spread and cause more trouble. But it can also be cured if caught early and treated properly.
Pain and functional. Generally bone cancer if it is localized (in one location) causes local problems ie. Pain in the affected extremity/bone, swelling, and limitation of movement at the affected area. If the cancer has spread to other locations you could have fevers, cough and other problems, but generally even if it has spread you will not have symoptoms.