Kids' favorite aunt came to visit. Told me she has high risk pregnancy. What should I tell my children?

Dr. Marilynn Frederiksen
Obstetrics & Gynecology - Maternal Fetal Medicine
In brief: High risk pregnancy
Well, what you tell your children depends upon their age and ability to comprehend.
It also depends upon her high risk factors. Certainly, high risk for a chromosomal abnormality is not the same as being high risk because of high blood pressure and diabetes.

In brief: High risk pregnancy
Dr. Marilynn Frederiksen
Dr. Marilynn Frederiksen
Dr. Jacob Tal
In brief: Kindness
I'm not sure how old the children are and how interested they are in the pregnancy issues.
If they ask specifically about it, i would encourage them to be very loving, supportive and limit the extent of their questions-as someone who is experiencing a difficult pregnancy may not need the additional pressure.

In brief: Kindness
Dr. Jacob Tal
Dr. Jacob Tal
In brief: Hard to say
Unfortunately the label is used quite loosely, including anyone pregnant over 35 or with a prior problem in a pregnancy.
If she has traveled to visit, I assume she is stable enough to do so and should be able to let you know of any specific precautions she is taking. She can also let you know if you need say anything to the kids.Since she brought it up, it is certainly okay to ask.

In brief: Hard to say
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham