Just got home from doctor. She said I have otitis media. Looked it up online and now more confused that ever. Can you explain what it means to have it?

Dr. Steven Machtinger
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Middle ear disease

"oto"=ear. "itis"=inflammed.
"media"=middle. In the diagram the red area is the middle ear, the air space behind the eardrum. The eustachian tube is the drain leading toward the lower right that connects the middle ear to the throat. When suddenly painful esp with fever & a cold you've trapped some bacteria in there & developed an infection. Long-standing pressure & hearing loss is just fluid.

In brief: Middle ear disease

"oto"=ear. "itis"=inflammed.
Dr. Steven Machtinger
Dr. Steven Machtinger
Dr. Mark Diamond

In brief: Ear infection

My colleagues answers are excellent.
But to add in simple terms, you doctor is telling you have an ear infection!

In brief: Ear infection

My colleagues answers are excellent.
Dr. Mark Diamond
Dr. Mark Diamond
Dr. Anifat Balogun
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Otitis Media/ Acute

Otitis media (OM) is generally used to describe middle ear inflammation.
There can be fluid or pus in the middle ear. When there is pus, we often used the term acute otitis media. If it's fluid, the term serous otitis media is used.

In brief: Otitis Media/ Acute

Dr. Anifat Balogun
Dr. Anifat Balogun
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine