I have an injured disc and my doctor said I needed to have a discogram test. What is a discogram, and what will it show?

Dr. Edward Smith
Neurology
In brief: Diagnostic test
If spinal pain generator cannot be conclusively determined & intervertebral disc is suspected as culprit, then a pain provocative test called discography may be indicated.
This usually involves injection of a radioopaque contrast material into the center of the disc with x-ray guidance. The actual appearance of the disc is irrelevant. What counts is whether the elicited pain reproduces usual pain.

In brief: Diagnostic test
Dr. Edward Smith
Dr. Edward Smith
Dr. John Kayvanfar
Sports Medicine
In brief: Refer to answer
Dicogram is loosing ground.
Every body after age 25 will show on abnormality on MRI . It is not sign of injury . However the amount of changes needs to mach the age. We have noticed most of back, on the contrary to books are inflamatory in nature. Almost 99 percent get well once the cause is treated.

In brief: Refer to answer
Dicogram is loosing ground.
Dr. John Kayvanfar
Dr. John Kayvanfar