I have a metal plate in my leg, and need an mri scan of my low back. Will the metal plate prevent me from getting the mri?

In brief: No

Before your MRI you will be asked a series of questions to determine if the MRI is safe for you.
The metal plate in your leg should not prevent you from getting an mri. If you become uncomfortable during the scan, you may have to stop and take a break.

In brief: No

Dr. Stephen Saponaro
Dr. Stephen Saponaro
Dr. James Leaming
Emergency Medicine

You will need to investigate the type of orthopedic bioimplantable device that was used to determine if it is safe for exposure to high intensity magnetic fields such as those found in mri.
If the bioimplantable material contains ferrous substances in the plate or fixators, an MRI is prohibited due to the probability of causing pain and injury.

Dr. James Leaming
Dr. James Leaming
Dr. Steven Chmielewski
Diagnostic Radiology

In brief: Probably not

Your leg is fairly far from the field and the rf pulse.
If put in in the last 15 years there should be no concern.

In brief: Probably not

Dr. Steven Chmielewski
Dr. Steven Chmielewski
Dr. Marsha Davis