I've just been told I have hematoma, should I be concerned?

Dr. Barry Rosen
Surgery

In brief: Location, location..

A hematoma is simply blood which has collected outside of a blood vessel, no different than a "black-and-blue" mark.
The critical issue is where this collection is. If it's sitting under the skin, it is of no concern. If it's between the skull and the brain, it can create pressure on the brain and be life-threatening.

In brief: Location, location..

Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Otto Placik
Excellent distinction. These can be spontaneous and associated with hemophilia (requiring evaluation if previously undiagnosed), or traumatic, or post-operative.
Dr. Matt Malkin
Anesthesiology

In brief: Location and cause

Hematoma is a collection of blood, as most people see after.Local injury these should resolve over time if no bleeding disorder (platelets, anticoagulation, hemophilia).
The problem is when is inside closed space like skull or spine. Here it can increase pressure on soft structures (brain, spinal cord) and cause damage or death. If in muscle, can cause compartment syndrome.

In brief: Location and cause

Dr. Matt Malkin
Dr. Matt Malkin
Dr. Mark Pack
Board Certified, Surgery