I've developed hepatocellular carcinoma. What should I be watching out for in the future?

Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Radiation Oncology
In brief: The best results are
From surgery, and that depends on the tumors location in relation to the big blood vessel, the portal vein, and the viability of the liver not involved with the tumor itself.
If your tumor is not resectable, there are new but expensive medicines that cause response and shrinkage. If the tumor grows or cannot be stopped, the liver will fail. I see some with bony metastasis. Best wishes.

In brief: The best results are
Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Dr. Debashish Bose
transplantation is included in the treatment algorithm for limited disease and has the best survival data, but for early limited disease resection and ablation techniques are also effective. HCC is not usually effectively treated with chemotherapy and only very limited succes is observed with new targeted agents. i agree that liver failure is the most important to watch for.
Dr. Michael Thompson
Internal Medicine - Hematology & Oncology
In brief: Dx, Stage, Tx
Ca 1-2-3 - 1) diagnosis, 2) staging and prognosis, 3) treatment options.
For hepatocellular carcinoma a multidisciplinary review is beneficial including surgery, medical oncology, interventional and diagnostic radiology. Many options exist for treatment, but systemic chemotherapy is currently suboptimal to cure advanced disease, so clinical trials and research is what to watch for the future.

In brief: Dx, Stage, Tx
Dr. Michael Thompson
Dr. Michael Thompson
Dr. Mary Maluccio
Surgery - Oncology
In brief: Ssurveillance
Treatment for early hcc can be quite effective.
However, since most hcc develops in the setting of underlying liver disease, we worry about new tumors cropping up in the remaining liver. Surveillance is crucial.

In brief: Ssurveillance
Dr. Mary Maluccio
Dr. Mary Maluccio