I try to avoid toxic drugs and treatments. What can I try before I go for traditional medical care for hiatal hernia?

Dr. Barry Rosen
Surgery

In brief: GERD

If you are like most people, you are using "hiatal hernia" to mean gastroesophageal reflux disease (gerd).
This can be well-managed by avoiding the foods that cause heartburn, avoiding smoking, alcohol, and caffeine, and losing weight (if overweight). If your symptoms are bad at night, putting the head of the bed up on blocks helps, as does eating dinner well before bedtime. Hope this helps!

In brief: GERD

Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Otto Placik
Great summary
Dr. Richard Orr
Surgery - Oncology

In brief: See a doc

First - if symptoms are persistent and/or severe, you need an egd.
This is a simple test that is painless to look inside your esophagus and stomach to confirm the diagnosis and to look for premalignant changes. Try otc Omeprazole or a similar acid blocker - don't eat right before gouing to bed.

In brief: See a doc

Dr. Richard Orr
Dr. Richard Orr
Dr. Mark Pack
Board Certified, Surgery