I think I may have malignant hyperthermia. What would that mean?

Dr. MUHAMMAD SHAIKH
Anesthesiology
In brief: MH
Mh (malignant hyperthermia) is genetically transmitted and there are multiple risk factors and associations with other diseases.
It is impossible to discuss all the details in this short space. How you know you have mh? Did, during prior surgeries any anesthesiologist pointed this to you? Is there any family member with past history of mh? Mh can be avoided using total intravenous anesthetics.

In brief: MH
Dr. MUHAMMAD SHAIKH
Dr. MUHAMMAD SHAIKH
Dr. Scott Roethle
Anesthesiology
In brief: Avoid certain drugs
Malignant hyperthermia is a genetic abnormality passed through families that causes a severe reaction to a few drugs used in anesthesia.
If you know you have it, you should get a medic alert bracelet, be sure to tell your doctors in future surgeries, and have your family checked as well. You will need to avoid the inhalational anesthetics and the depolarizing paralytic succinylcholine.

In brief: Avoid certain drugs
Dr. Scott Roethle
Dr. Scott Roethle
Dr. Karen Sibert
Anesthesiology
In brief: Get tested!
Malignant hyperthermia can be a fatal reaction to certain types of anesthesia medications including succinylcholine and anesthetic gases.
It runs in families. I would like to know more about why you think you have it. The only way to be sure is to have a surgeon do a muscle biopsy which is sent for special tests. You should definitely find out if you have it or not. Good luck!

In brief: Get tested!
Dr. Karen Sibert
Dr. Karen Sibert
Dr. Scott Mackinnon
Anesthesiology
In brief: Wear a bracelet
Google "mhaus", malignant hyperthermia hot line.
Good info source. Essentially, certain anesthetic agents must be avoided. There are safe substitutes however. Let your anesthesiologist know. Have a medic alert bracelet that states such also.

In brief: Wear a bracelet
Dr. Scott Mackinnon
Dr. Scott Mackinnon