I did a search for diagnosis of some of my symptoms and came up with melanoma. What do doctors look for to diagnose it?

Dr. Carlo Contreras
Surgery - Oncology

In brief: Skin exam &biopsy

Melanoma is diagnosed by performing a complete skin exam and by taking a sample (biopsy) of the suspicous areas.
The skin biopsy is then examined under a microscope to determine if it is melanoma. See the picture to find out what typical melanoma moles look like.

In brief: Skin exam &biopsy

Dr. Carlo Contreras
Dr. Carlo Contreras
Dr. Liawaty Ho
Internal Medicine - Hematology & Oncology

In brief: Dermatologist

Skin evaluation by dermatologist -then biopsy will be done to establish diagnosis.
Wide resection with a good clear margin will be needed to cure it in early stage of disease. If you have mole that is growing, irregular shape, with different colors or giving you symptoms- such as itch, bleeding, redness etc- please dont delay--see a dermatologist or your doctor.

In brief: Dermatologist

Dr. Liawaty Ho
Dr. Liawaty Ho
Dr. Donald Shenenberger
Not knowing exactly what your symptoms are if you are having symptoms that include melanoma in the list of causes I strongly suggest you see a doctor, FP or Internist, to start. And if any of these symptoms include skin lesions you should see a dermatologist.