I am so worried. My kids only need to see the doctor for sports physicals. Now one has mitral valve prolapse. What should I say, in terms of effects on health and well-being?

Dr. Bennett Werner
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: Depends

Mitral valve prolapse encompasses a spectrum of severity from insignificant (really, a normal variant) to elongation and overstretching or rupture of the leaflets and/or supporting structures with severe leakage(regurgitation).
An echocardiogram is the test of choice. Ask your doctor how severe your child's mvp is. The vast majority of affected people have no symptoms and lead normal lives.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Bennett Werner
Dr. Bennett Werner
Dr. Vasudev Ananthram
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: Probably no worries

In most cases no worries.
Ask your kids doctor if there is any significant leakage of the valve and if so how often your kid needs to follow up. Also ask if there were any other abnormalities on the echo.

In brief: Probably no worries

In most cases no worries.
Dr. Vasudev Ananthram
Dr. Vasudev Ananthram
Dr. Shontae Buffington