I am a nervous wreck. My daughter has hepatitis b. Can you tell me about it?

Dr. Arthur Heller
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology
In brief: Viral infection
Common world wide.
Spread mostly by blood- birth exposure in far east, mid east, africa; bad transfusion (blood supply is tested here;, shared drug use e.g. Needles, contam tattoo ink or needles; less commonly sexually spread. Can cause acute hep: fever, nausea, jaundice, wt loss; may lead to chronic carrier of virus and/or chr. Liver disease. Can lead to cirrhosis, and ca. Rx available; c md.

In brief: Viral infection
Common world wide.
Dr. Arthur Heller
Dr. Arthur Heller
Dr. Martin Raff
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease
In brief: Lengthy explanation
Hepatitis b usually resolves uneventfully and leaves the patient immune to reinfection, but it can produce chronic hepatitis with potentially serious consequences.
You need to learn how they got this, what type of disease process is in progress and for how long if known.

In brief: Lengthy explanation
Dr. Martin Raff
Dr. Martin Raff
Dr. Jonathan Jassey