I am a basket case. My son has periventricular leukomalacia. Can you tell me something about it?

In brief: Discriptive term
Pvl is used to describe changes in the appearance of the brain substance that is adjacent to the ventricles of the brain (spinal fluid containing sacs in the middle).
This occurs when blood flow or oxygen delivery to those sites was interupted and injury occured. Outcome is variable & movement disorders& motor delay are common. Therapy will often improve outcome. Developmental followup is a must.

In brief: Discriptive term
Dr. Thomas Riney
how old is he? this is an mri finding, not a diagnosis. It is associated with prematurity associated with low blood flow to that area of the brain, and he will need to have his lower extremity tone monitored by your pediatrician
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Pediatrics - Developmental & Behavioral
In brief: Hope this helps
You didn't indicate if he is a preemie, had any other neurological problems, nor his age, so i can't address his specific prognosis.
I can only tell you that i've had patients whose MRI findings looked a lot worse than they did and that early intervention really will help both of you.You deserve a safe place to vent your feelings so you can focus on learning what you can do to help your son.

In brief: Hope this helps
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Dr. Cristina Carballo
Pediatrics - Neonatology
In brief: Disabilites
Unfortunately, periventricular leukomalacia, or pvl usually occurs in pre-term infants, but can occur in-utero when there has been placental insufficiency causing poor perfusion to the fetal brain.
They are cysts that form when those areas of the brain essentially die. They are around the ventricular system of the brain, where the neurons involved regulate movement. Cerebral palsy is usually seen.

In brief: Disabilites
Dr. Cristina Carballo
Dr. Cristina Carballo
Dr. Cindy Juster