How will I know if I have poliomyelitis?

Dr. Mark Patterson

In brief: See your doctor

Luckily, due to the effectiveness of the polio vaccine, the disease has become very uncommon in the world.
As of 13 june 2012, only 73 cases have been reported in the world this year. Most of them (40) were in nigeria. If you have a concern, i would suggest seeing your doctor.

In brief: See your doctor

Dr. Mark Patterson
Dr. Mark Patterson
Dr. Janet Greenhut
Preventive Medicine

In brief: Not likely

Polio is caused by a virus that attacks the nervous system. It rarely causes paralysis.
Other symptoms are fever, vomiting, neck pain, fatigue and pain in the arms and legs. Most countries have eliminated polio through vaccination, which is given to infants and children.

In brief: Not likely

Dr. Janet Greenhut
Dr. Janet Greenhut
Dr. Eric Weisman