How do you treat multiple rib fractures?

Dr. Ahmad M Hadied
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Let me help

In most cases, broken ribs heal on their own in one or two months.
Adequate pain control is important, so you can continue to breathe deeply and avoid lung complications, such as pneumonia.Good luck, thank you.

In brief: Let me help

Dr. Ahmad M Hadied
Dr. Ahmad M Hadied
Dr. Benjamin Taylor
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Depends

Rib fractures are often overlooked and patients do worse without surgery on certain rib fracture patterns.
Multiple consecutive rib fractures can lead to altered breathing, severe pain, and inability to return to work. Multiple rib fractures leading to flail chest absolutely benefit from surgery. Other patterns appear to benefit as well.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Benjamin Taylor
Dr. Benjamin Taylor