How can I keep from having problems with my spine after spine surgery?

Dr. Edward Hellman
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Follow instructions

The postoperative protocols vary tremendously based upon the nature of spinal surgery performed.
You would certainly make sure you know, understand and follow your surgeons instructions following surgery. Some patients start to feel better after their surgery and then do things they should not, this can cause complications and so compliance is important. Thank you for the question.

In brief: Follow instructions

Dr. Edward Hellman
Dr. Edward Hellman

In brief: Spine care

Be careful exerting yourself and heavy lifting should be avoided.

In brief: Spine care

Dr. Alexander Barkan
Dr. Alexander Barkan
Dr. Thomas Byrnes

In brief: DONT SMOKE

Don't smoke! see the physical therapist before the surgery and get used to doing the rehab exercises prior to the surgery so you will already be somewhat conditioned to doing them afterwards.

In brief: DONT SMOKE

Dr. Thomas Byrnes
Dr. Thomas Byrnes
Dr. Buck Parker
Board Certified, Surgery