How can I keep from having problems with my spine after spine surgery?

Dr. Edward Hellman
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: Follow instructions
The postoperative protocols vary tremendously based upon the nature of spinal surgery performed.
You would certainly make sure you know, understand and follow your surgeons instructions following surgery. Some patients start to feel better after their surgery and then do things they should not, this can cause complications and so compliance is important. Thank you for the question.

In brief: Follow instructions
Dr. Edward Hellman
Dr. Edward Hellman
In brief: Spine care
Be careful exerting yourself and heavy lifting should be avoided.

In brief: Spine care
Dr. Alexander Barkan
Dr. Alexander Barkan
Dr. Thomas Byrnes
In brief: DONT SMOKE
Don't smoke! see the physical therapist before the surgery and get used to doing the rehab exercises prior to the surgery so you will already be somewhat conditioned to doing them afterwards.

In brief: DONT SMOKE
Dr. Thomas Byrnes
Dr. Thomas Byrnes
Dr. Crystal Twynham
Board Certified, Surgery