Are abdominal "crunch" exercises the best way to keep from having low back pain?

Dr. Seth Zeidman
Neurosurgery
In brief: Not exactly
Core strengthening including gentle crunches can be helpful in preventing low back pain.
However, these need to be performed correctly and should be combined with an entire regimen designed to strengthen the core musculature.

In brief: Not exactly
Dr. Seth Zeidman
Dr. Seth Zeidman
Dr. Thomas Namey
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology
In brief: Core muscles!Stretch
Core muscle strengthening is useful, but rand corp.
Study found that of all physiotherapeutic activities receommended in studies, no conclusion regarding exercises could be reached. I find gravity inversion devices useful for most patients.

In brief: Core muscles!Stretch
Dr. Thomas Namey
Dr. Thomas Namey
Dr. Mark Cantieri
Pain Management
In brief: No
I always ask patients: what activity do you perform that requires you to be strong going forward? None.
You need to be strong coming up, so focus on hip strengthening and your paraspinals. The core concept is ok, but you need to realize it actually encompasses strength and coordination from your feet through your neck.

In brief: No
Dr. Mark Cantieri
Dr. Mark Cantieri
Dr. Neetu Ahluwalia
Pain Management
In brief: No
Abdominal crunches are an excellent way to build muscles that support the back.
It is also important to strengthen the muscles of the back itself, and together, they are best way to prevent low back pain.

In brief: No
Dr. Neetu Ahluwalia
Dr. Neetu Ahluwalia
Dr. Jeffrey Glaser
Pain Management
In brief: No
Back pain comes from many causes including, but not limited to musculoskeletal spasm, degenerative disc disease, arthritis/spondylosis, trauma, and strain/sprain.
Abdominal crunches done the right way can strengthen your core and reduce your risk for back injury. Done the wrong way abdominal crunches can actually injury you and lead to back pain.

In brief: No
Dr. Jeffrey Glaser
Dr. Jeffrey Glaser
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine