Are there tests to confirm the doctor's diagnosis of eye socket infection?

X-ray, CT scan. Eye socket infection is also called orbital cellulitis. It can be caused either by infection of the eyelids or sinus tracking back into the socket. It can be diagnosed on the basis of decreased movement of the eye, pain that is worse with movement, swelling of the lids and upper face, discharge and history of lid or sinus infection. X-ray and ct scan can pick it up quite well. This is an emergency.
Yes. Infection in the eye socket is usually obvious with redness, swelling and discharge (mostly pus) around and behind the artificial eye. Testing is only needed if there seems to be poor response to treatment and an unusual organism is the cause. Good hygiene, especially of the prosthetic eye is important. Start with your ocularist and you may need to see an oculoplastic ophthalmologist.