Are there safe alternative therapies for discoid lupus?

Avoid sun exposure. The most important therapy is to avoid sun exposure by using hats and or sun screen.
Skin lupus. Lupus is an autoimmune disease, where one's own immune cells attack parts of your self. Discoid lupus occurs only on the skin, but is chronic and can cause bad scarring. It almost never evolves into the more serious systemic lupus. It can be treated with sun protection, high potency topical steroid creams, an oral medicine called plaquenil, (hydroxychloroquine) and shots of steroid directly into certain skin lesions.
Diet. As part of the treatment there are reports that a oiling dairy and wheat can help discoid lupus. Thos may not always work and may require time to see effect. Topical steroids are safe and will decrease s raring and discoloration form discoid lupus. Also be evaluated for systemic involvement.