Why would my red blood cell count be high and low?

Anemia or polycythem. Many conditions that cause anemia can cause your red cells to go low including blood loss, blood destruction and overproduction. Excess red cells can result from chronic hypnotic states and various forms of polycythemias.
It can't . It can't be high and low at the same time but there are many conditions that can cause anemia (low red blood cell count) or polycythemia (high red blood cell count). What exactly do you wish to know?
Can not be high&low. Your red blood cell can not be high and low at the same time.Normal values for males 4.7to6.1 millions/mcl and for women it is 4.2to5.7millions/mcl causes of high rbcs1 cigarette smoking, 2dehydration3polycythemia vera4congenital heart disease5low blood oxygen level6kidney tumor7pulmonary fibrosis&corpulmonale causes of low rbcs 1anemia2bone marrow failure3bleeding4leukemia&mm4iron, b12, and defecien.
Balance prod/loss & Internal controls. Red blood cells typically live about 3 months, are constantly rupturing, dying (any bleeding increases loss rates) & replaced by division + release of new red cells from the bone marrow. Kidneys play a significant role by producing the hormone erythropoietin which stimulates marrow production & release. Ultimately the system is under brain control but not all issues understood.